Thursday, May 10, 2012

Friendship, College, Jobs

If you enjoy college, have a lot of friends and do well, don’t bother reading this. I just finished my 2nd year of college and I can say that I have to sit here for a while and think about what I actually learned. It is sad that some people actually have to pay close to $35,000/year to go to an institution and think they are learning something they could just go on the internet and read about. Don’t get me wrong, I think this will change next year when I start to get into my major classes, but honestly who is going to use skills they “learned” in their core intro classes the first 2 years later in life? The stuff is so boring, adding to the fact that the professors jam their views down your throat for 150 minutes a week. That could possibly be why people fail them and just don’t care. Me being a perfectionist, or something close to it, struggles in these courses which leaves me frustrated beyond all belief. There is no point to reading the Bible if you are a Finance major. I would rather be doing things to help me become better at my future career, like writing up blogs/tweets on equity analysis or just some fun finance facts that I enjoy. Same goes for any other major out there, I’m sure I can vouch for the GW bio students who work endless hours. Also, in the 2 years I have been here, though it is a small place of about 2,000 students, I still cannot seem to find anyone who likes things I do. There are a few who are very smart Finance majors, have outstanding gpa’s, tons of friends, but spend their weekends getting drunk. I don’t have anything against them, but I just want to be that person to, you know sip on a glass of wine on the weekends discussing some finance; relaxing. As many might know, I don’t have a lot of close friends because I fully believe that we are all acting out of selfish interests, so we need someone there to “help us out” to get to our final goal, being known, popular. There are a majority of people who care about their friends, and that is good too, but I just have different views on it. Think about this for a second, you could have all of the “friends” in the world, but what if you had no money, no job? Well then you would be just like the rest of the American scum on welfare. We have a very small percentage of Americans who work hard to carry the weight for others who are too lazy. “There are no jobs” is no excuse. Educate yourself. Find something. Your job is to look for a job, it is not handed to you on a silver platter. Read news stories at the public library if you are homeless, see where employment is sparking up, sign up, you may get lucky, you may not. Keep going. We can keep pretending or we can plow through it. Hard work is rewarding and don’t let anyone tell you different.

No comments:

Post a Comment